Rock On! A Birthday Wish for My Sister: March 10, 2012
How did we reach this ripe old age
Through all those years of tears and laughter?
Some say Earth-life's just an eye-blink
Compared with that great Heavenly Hereafter.
The age of seventy may sound quite ancient
Unless one thinks of the prophet Moses.
But we are still young in spirit
And loved by everyone who knows us.
For our parents, whose family expanded,
1942 was a banner year!
They joyously welcomed another daughter,
Quite brilliant and darling, I hear.
Growing up with five super siblings,
Taught cooperation not jealousy, the rule,
I loved having you as my sister
At home or in church or in school.
When you married Ron, I was happy;
To your children I became great Aunt Kay!
Each of your nine is a marvel,
Whom you've shared with me all of the way.
Let's hope that the next precious decades
Won't require more aides or stronger glasses
That our bodies and memories will stay as sharp
With each day, month, or year as it passes.
Perhaps we can each have a rocking chair,
Meet with Ellen on the same breezy porch,
Where we'll leisurely rock, reminiscing.
Being out of the sun, we won't scorch.
We'll talk of our lives and our travels,
Of thoughts that are close to our heart.
We'll laugh and and we'll sigh till we're giddy,
Promising, hopefully, never to part.
So Happy Birthday to you dearest Barbara,
Whom I cherish as sister and friend.
With years of compassion and humor,
May our closeness and love never end.
Love,
Kay
1 comment:
I love the poem Aunt Kay! Love you and Uncle Reed!
Nice picture of the three of you.
Post a Comment